At the beginning of my work I wanted to document bodybuilders, especially after devoting a large chunk of my time to this sport in order to achieve the "perfect" body.
Soon I started asking myself questions about the male body. What constitutes the perfect male body? What is society's view and especially how I looked at my own body.
As I got larger and as I was interacting with other athletes, I realized that my objective was not to get bigger but to become happier.
Happiness as depicted by today's society and media off course: Big and buff
I soon realized that the men I thought were happy, specifically because of their physique, were in fact not.
My search for happiness came to a halt.
I had to dig deeper and deeper, asking myself why am I feeling the way I am.
The daily human lifestyle seemed like a good starting point. Our lives are surrounded by stress from morning to night. And when we go to bed, that accumulated anxiety liberates itself and sneaks its way into our dreams!
That’s when I started digging into the things that troubled me in the past and continue to trouble me to this day.
I can change anything I want about my present life: the way I look, the way I dress, what I eat, how I act, and who my friends are. What I cannot change are the events that have already taken place in my past. But it is precisely these past events that can trouble us in the present and affect how we view the future. We may be able to change the future, but we can’t change the past and as a result our past continues to haunt us and prevents us from achieving true happiness.
As the slogan of the mighty capitalist Adidas says, "Impossible Is Nothing,” but what do you do when those “impossible-to-change” moments of your life continue to haunt you?